Ref. No.:- SP/VN-2017/014
Call for Expression of Interest (EOI) for Chief Operating Officer
Sano Paila is seeking a mission focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader for the position of COO to be based at the Head Office (in Birganj, Parsa). This is a senior-level position serving as the internal leader of the organization, overseeing implementation of all projects and programs as well as managing the overall operations of the organization. S/he will lead and train implementation teams and develop a high-performance culture among a group of diverse and talented individuals.
Sano Paila is a development oriented, non-profit organization that seeks to provide opportunities to improve economic, social, & health conditions, thereby reducing poverty and injustice in Nepal. We have a decade-long history of bringing Nepali people forward, empowering them and developing their skills to solve their own problems, as well as solve challenges in their communities. Sano Paila’s focus areas span from youth empowerment, drug rehabilitation, to crime prevention and reformation, anti-trafficking and child protection, health improvement, access to education, peacebuilding, livelihood enhancement, and crisis response.
Terms of Reference (ToR)
1. Position Description:
Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Work Location: Fifty percent at Head Office, Birganj and fifty percent at Regional Office Kathmandu
(Travel to regional/district offices)
Grade & Salary Range: Executive “E” Level 2 / Negotiable
2. Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
3. Summary: Full-time role leading all internal operations to deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality as well as create efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of Sano Paila.
4. Minimum Qualification Standards:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Leadership and Organization—Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- General Management—Solid understanding of finance and human resource management; broad experience with full range of organization functions and systems including: strategic development and planning, budgeting, analysis, finance, human resources, and branding
- Strategic Vision and Agility—Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and adopt flexibility depending on the unanticipated problems that often arise in complex projects during implementation
- Capacity Building—Ability to effectively build Sano Paila and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and implementing processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Exceptional creativity and problem-solving skills
Excellent communication skills with high level of written and spoken English and Nepali
Exceptional work ethic and ability to act and respond as necessary in a high-pressure environment
Ability to thrive as a self-starter and be a solution-finder to complex problems that often arise in the context of Nepal’s political, social, and regulatory environment
Education, Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree/10 years or more experience in a leadership role is required; MBA or similar advanced degree is desired
- Two or more years of experience in strategic planning, business management, corporate leadership, and financial decision-making.
5. Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the CEO, create yearly strategic plans and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
# Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
# Lead the performance management processes that measure and evaluate progress against organisational goals
#Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for all staff
#Facilitate smooth flows of work and information between: project teams at the grassroots level, regional office(s), and the head office
- Lead and manage program managers/officers/coordinators of all projects and ensure implementation of all projects and activities, including regional operations managers
- Increase key impact measurements and ensure timely reporting and formulation of reports for partners
- Finance, Technology, and Human Resources
# Coordinate and supervise Head of Finance (dotted reporting) and function report to CEO for financial matters
#Cultivate the values of Sano Paila and communicate senior management / CEO’s message within the organization
#Develop an accounting system as per the Financial policy, providing the organization with quick access to financial information and enabling strategic budgeting
#Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial management systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization
#Communicate the branded message internally and externally
• Management and Cross-Functional Collaboration and Other Duties as needed and assigned.
Interested applicants are requested to submit cover letter and resume emphasizing relevant experience by October 31, 2017 / Kartik 14, 2074 to email@example.com . Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Sano Paila is an equal opportunity employer and has a demonstrated organizational commitment to diversity and inclusion.